X4: Exitcode 1003 (UI system initialization error)
You have landed on this page because the game detected an error while attempting to start.
The issue occurs because the UI system failed to be initialized.
Interfering third-party tools
One possible cause for this problem is third-party software interfering with the game trying to load the required DLLs. The DLL that the game tries to load is located under ui/core/lualibs and is called utf8_64.dll. If the game is prevented from loading the DLL, it won't start and will instead terminate with this exitcode. Check whether you have any such third-party tools installed, and see whether disabling them solves the issue.
Missing or damaged utf8_64.dll
To rule out a possible missing or damaged DLL, please verify the game file integrity as described in this Wiki entry.
The options menu script is a vital part of the UI, which also provides the start menu functionality. If a mod breaks that script, this exitcode is expected and the popup error will state the following message:
Initialized UI but addon 'ego_gameoptions' is not loaded.
To solve this problem either fix the bug which breaks the script or remove the problematic mod.
If you are certain that no third-party software is interfering with the game and the file integrity is reported as good, please do the following:
- start the game with the additional command line parameter: /windowed /logfile log.txt
- verify that the log.txt file was created in the X4 My documents folder (same location as where savegames are stored)
- send a mail to email@example.com (Subject: Exitcode 1003). In the mail please attach the following information:
- the log.txt which was created above
- a screenshot of the popup which shows the exitcode
- state whether you performed the file integrity check or not
- state whether you are using third-party (security) tools (and which ones), and whether you tried to run the game without these being enabled
- state whether you have any mod(s) installed and provide a list of these mods (if any)
- state when the issue occurs for you (in other words: whether you experience this as a startup problem where the game doesn't start at all, or whether it crashes in-game)
We will then get back to you with further steps to track down the cause of the issue.