You have landed on this page because the game detected an error while attempting to start.
The issue occurs when the game fails to detect necessary game assets. Usually this implies that the game installation is corrupted/incomplete.
To solve the issue, follow these steps in sequence. After each step, check whether the game now starts:
- verify the game assets through the Steam or GOG client, if the client is available on your platform (this page offers detailed instructions on how to do so)
- uninstall and reinstall the game
- ensure that the drive you installed the game on hasn't run out of free disk space
- (especially for GOG and Linux) ensure that the installation succeeded without any errors (see below for further details)
- verify that the location in which your game is installed is one that your user account has access to
- try to (temporarily) disable your antivirus system or any other 3rd-party tool which might prevent the game from accessing the game data
- ensure that you are not trying to run the X4 executable directly from a folder that is different to the installation folder, and if you use a shortcut to start the game, that the working directory set in the shortcut points to the installation folder
Special note for Linux users
We are aware that the installation script which comes with the GOG version of the game can fail in certain cases and leave the installation in a half-finished state.
When you run the installer, please verify that no error was reported and check the game folder to see whether all expected game files have been correctly extracted.
In particular, check that there are several files named XX.cat / XX.dat / XX_sig.cat / XX_sig.dat (where XX ranges from 01 to 09). If one (or all) of the files are missing or have a different name, this strongly indicates that the installer failed to run correctly on your computer. In this case, please send us the complete error log by mail (see below) so we can work with you to resolve the issue.
Further support by email
If the steps provided above didn't solve your problem, please send a mail to email@example.com (Subject: Exitcode 113) with a screenshot of the popup error you got, your dxdiag (on Windows) or a screenshot showing the terminal output of the df command (on Linux), and in the case of getting an error upon game installation on Linux, the complete installation log. This Wiki entry explains how to create the dxdiag output.